As we continue our search for happiness we bring you the happiness decision tree, 10 things you didn’t know about smiling and what makes Today School teachers smile. Read on and get happy.
Did you know it takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown?
Top ten facts about smiling
1. When someone smiles, it is universally known as an expression of happiness which is recognized by almost all cultures.
2. When a person studies laughter they are known as a ‘gelotologist‘.
3. There are over 18 different types of smiles that are used in a variety of social situations. For instance, people can use a smile to say a hello, and they can also use a different type of smile to show their understanding of a particular situation.
4. A frown uses more muscles to contract and expand then a smile does.
5. A smile is one of the most used human facial expressions. Smiles can use between 5 to all 53 muscles.
6. Smiling releases endorphins and makes us feel better, even when you fake a smile you can feel better.
7. A person that smiles more is thought to be more pleasant, sincere, attractive and more sociable then a non-smiling person.
8. We are born with the ability to smile, it is not something that we copy.
9. Humans are able to tell the difference between a real smile and a fake smile by seeing the difference in a persons eyes when they smile.
10. New babies prefer a person with a smile then a person that is not smiling.
Don’t forget to smile!
We asked our teachers…
What makes you smile?
I always get a big smile on my face when I think about playing hide-and-seek with my nephew. When he opens the door to a cupboard I’m hiding in and I jump out and scare him, there’s nothing funnier in the world than the look of fear that passes over his face for a moment. Hilarious! I’m laughing now!
The sunshine… and other people smiling!
My cats, happy people, people who smile at me, holidays, a week with no bills to pay, friends, sunny days, witty people.
Being with people I love in the summer, with a beer in my hand (!) and the sun on my face.
Dancing like an idiot with my sister.
My dog!!!! Just to see Bella running around in the park chasing pigeons is such fun and she always loves a little cuddle on the sofa! I also love sunny days and going to the beach. Seeing my family always makes me smile and my friends make me laugh!
My students’ faces when I ask them crazy imaginative questions AND they try to answer them.
Seeing other people happy!
Little acts of kindness between strangers.
There are too many things to name, but I have a special weakness for my dog, Lola, who lives in the U.S. and babies.
My cat Vita.
Laia B.12 octubre, 2012 at 12:30
There are a lot of situations that make me smile; children playing, funny people, my cat…But I only need to think a crazy thing (rhime, ha,ha) to smile or laugh…and it’s something that I do often
Mª José12 octubre, 2012 at 17:41
They make me smile sunny days, the smell of jasmine on a warm summer night, young couples in love, remember my children when they were young … And also I smail watching Pocoyo
Alex14 octubre, 2012 at 19:38
Holidays, happy people be with friends, a sunny day in the beach
Laia C.15 octubre, 2012 at 9:54
A lot of things, for example; being with my friends and family, traveling to different countries.
Marta Herguedas15 octubre, 2012 at 16:26
when I have a conversation with my friends, and I see the great friendship between us
Anònim15 octubre, 2012 at 22:53
I’m Pere and makes me smile being with my little cousins, being with my friends and more things.
Xavi16 octubre, 2012 at 11:00
Me hace sonreír la música, hacer deporte, estar con mi familia, conseguir los objetivos que te propones, etc..
todayschoolblog16 octubre, 2012 at 16:14
Xavi, the idea is to write in English!!
Kirian16 octubre, 2012 at 11:47
Remeber something funny.
Josep16 octubre, 2012 at 13:34
someone slips on the street, I know that is cruel, but I can’t resist
Anònim16 octubre, 2012 at 19:16
When I arrive to the school and I see the teacher smiles as Ed!! Or when my husband explain me a joke
mayettemateo20 març, 2013 at 13:39
remembering memories of yesterday with the people i love…